MoraisNeufville Law Firm, LLC
Proven Track Record of Meeting
Our Clients' Needs
Which companies qualify to transfer employees to the United

Only those companies that exactly meet the U.S. Citizenship and
Immigration Services (USCIS) definitions of parent, branch, subsidiary,
or affiliate qualify to petition for an L-1 intracompany transferee visa.  
These definitions are very precise and require an analysis of both the
foreign and U.S. ownership of the related companies.  Both the foreign
and U.S. operations must be doing business for the entire time that the
L-1 employee is working in the U.S.

There are provisions to allow a new office to open in the U.S., provided
that evidence is submitted to do business, a qualifying business
structure exists, a viable business plan is in place, and the employer
has the ability to pay the employee and to begin doing business in the

Each case must be well-documented with evidence proving that all of
the legal criteria are met.

Which employees qualify as L-1 intracompany transferees?

Intracompany transferees are executives, managers, and employees
with specialized knowledge.  The definition of manager includes an
employee who manages an essential function of the business within a
qualifying organization.  An executive directs the management of the
organization, establishes its goals and policies, exercises wide latitude
in discretionary decisions, and receives only general supervision.  
Specialized knowledge employees must have special knowledge of the
organization's products, services, research, equipment, management,
or other interests, and its application in international markets, or an
advanced knowledge or expertise in the organization's processes and
procedures.  Classifying the employee in the correct category is
important, particularly if the company might later want to sponsor the
employee for permanent residence.  The intracompany transferee
petition should always be structured to allow the easiest transition to
permanent resident status.

A key qualification for all employees is continuous employment abroad
with a qualifying foreign employer for one year within the three years
preceding the time of the employee's application for admission into the

How long can L-1 employees remain in the U.S.?

The L-1 is a temporary visa with specific limitations on periods of stay in
the   U.S.

  • If the employee is qualified as a manager or executive, he or she
    may remain in the U.S. for up to seven years.

  • If the employee is classified in the specialized knowledge
    category, he or she may remain in the U.S. for to five years.

  • An exception to these limits exists where the employment in the U.
    S. is seasonal, intermittent, or for an aggregate of six months or
    less per year.

How does the company get an L-1 visa for its employeees?

A petition for an L-1 visa must be filed by the company with the
appropriate USCIS service center.  Except for a company that is
opening a new office in the U.S., the initial petition may be granted for a
three-year period and renewed in two-year increments up to the
maximum permitted stay.  New offices are limited to an initial 12-month
period, with extensions depending on the business and financial
performance of the new office.  Once the petition is approved, the
employee may apply for an L-1 visa at a U.S. consulate abroad.  If the
employee is in the U.S. and maintaining some other legal status, in
many cases he or she may apply for a change of status in the U.S.  
However, this option is not available to those who entered the U.S.
pursuant to the Visa Waiver Program.

A transferee's spouse or unmarried children under 21 years old may be
granted L-2 visas.  Spouses of L-1 visa holders may apply for work
authorization.  Other L-2 visa holders, however, are not permitted to
work, although they may attend school.
L-1 Intracompany Transferee Workers